The Nanny kids love to bake, we’re always whipping up something new and delicious. The cinnamon bun cake is one of our favorites and we made one the other day.
I’ll be honest though, I only have one photo from our baking extravaganza because we were having so much fun baking and chatting. Then when the cake came out of the oven and cool it was so delicious it was gone in a flash. But doesn’t it look delicious? Scroll down to see the cake!
Pin it for Later!
Ingredients for the Cinnamon Bun Cake
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 2 Room Temperature Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 3/4 Cup Cream Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Instructions to make a Cinnamon Bun Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Grease a 9-inch cake tin and set aside.
- Make the Cake: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- Add the wet ingredients – milk, eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil – into the dry ingredients. Whisk together until there is a smooth batter. Make sure not to over mix it.
- Transfer the cake batter into the greased pan, do not put it in the oven yet.
- Make the Cinnamon Filling: Using an electric mixer cream together the butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Put the cinnamon filling in a piping bag with a round tip.
- Starting at the center of the cake pipe on the cinnamon filling in a spiral pattern covering the whole cake. The filling will bake into the cake making it look like a cinnamon bun.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour.
- Make the Glaze: While the cake is baking melt the cream cheese in a medium bowl in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Then add the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and whisk it into the cream cheese until a smooth glaze is formed.
- When the cake is done baking remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- Once the cake is warm, not hot, pour the glaze over the top of the cake.