The Hollywood Studios Fast passes system is the same as it is at Epcot and the Animal Kingdom with a tier system.
With the tiered system, guests can choose 1 attraction from tier 1 and 2 attractions from tier 2. Because both tier 1 attractions require riders to be 38” or taller you might need to look into a rider swap if you have children that can’t ride.
The Magic Kingdom does not have a tier system.
UPDATED with NEW Fastpass tier system that goes into effect on February 20, 2020
Hollywood Studios Fast Passes
Can I get a Fast Pass for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge?
Fast passes are not available for the rides at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at this time.
If you want to ride Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (40”) or Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (38”) get to the park at rope drop and head right to these rides.
UPDATE – Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run is now a tier 1 fastpass! see details in the section below.
There will be times when you will need to join a virtual queue to get on Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. This allows guests to experience the ride without waiting in line for an extended period of time and missing out on the rest of the park.
To join the virtual queue you will be required to either use the My Disney Experience App or by visiting a Guest Experience Team kiosk after you enter Hollywood Studios.
You will then be assigned a boarding group. From there check the My Disney Experience App and digital signage around Hollywood Studios to see which boarding group is currently being admitted to the ride.
Unfortunately, you can only join one boarding group per day.
Click here to find out more about Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
Hollywood Studios Fast Pass for Tier 1 Attractions
You can only book 1 tier 1 Hollywood Studios fast pass to start off with. There are 2 attractions and they are:
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (38”)
- Slinky Dog Dash (38″)
Hollywood Studios Tier 2 Attractions
From tier 2 you can choose 2 Hollywood Studios fast passes. There are 11 tier 2 attractions.
- Toy Story Mania! (any height)
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (40”)
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (48”)
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (38”)
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- Disney Junior Dance Party!
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- Muppet*Vision 3D, Fantasmic!
- Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage.
Hollywood Studios Fast Pass Recommendations
Hollywood Studios is a park that brings movies and old Hollywood to life. It has a great balance of rides and live stage shows. Here are my fast pass recommendations:
- Tier 1:
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run: I have not had the privilege of going on this ride yet, but friends have told me that it is AMAZING! With these fastpasses, book as early as you possibly can. If you can’t get one head right to the ride as soon as the park opens to get in line.
- Tier 2:
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith: As one of Disney’s early dives into the thrill ride arena I love this ride. It came onto the Disney scene when I was a pre-teen and have loved it ever since. The fastpass for this ride only gets you so far as right before you’re introduced to Aerosmith you merge with the regular line. From there I’ve only ever waited 10 minutes.
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue: The original Star Wars ride is a classic and shouldn’t be missed. It can have a bit of a line and is one of the only tier 2 rides so I always get a fast pass for this one.
Can I just book an additional Tier 1 Hollywood Studios Fastpass after I’ve used the first one?
No! You need to book 1 tier 1 and 2 tier 2 fast passes and use all 3 before you can book a second tier 1 fast pass.
Tips for show Fastpasses
Most of the shows at Hollywood studios are super easy to get into without a FastPass as there is plenty of seating. However, to get some really great seats you usually need to get in line about 45 minutes in advance of showtime.
Getting a Fast Pass for any show will ensure you get a seat and it will be in a special seating area.
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get a Fast Pass for Fantasmic in your initial fast pass choices as you will not be able to get any other fast passes for that day. Remember you can only get more fast passes after you use up the initial 3 you booked. Wait until the end of the day to get a fast pass for Fantasmic. And if you can’t get one get in line cause you won’t want to miss this show.