Genie Plus (or Genie+) at Walt Disney World is your key to the entire kingdom. It will make your Disney vacation easier and more fun. I’ve put together this Disney World Genie Plus guide to help you maximize the fun when you hit the parks.
Disney World Genie+ Guide
What is Genie+?
Genie Plus is a paid skip-the-line service to help maximize your time in the parks. It allows guests at Walt Disney World (and Disneyland California) to enter through a special line called the Lightning Lane. (For all my Disney experts out there, the Lightning Lane is the former FastPass return entrance.)
However, not all Disney World attractions are available with Genie Plus. (keep reading to see which ones are!)
In addition to Genie Plus, there is the Genie service. Both can be found in the My Disney Experience app. The Genie service is a planning tool with real-time updates on attraction wait times along with show and parade times. This is a free service.
Yes, I know this is a bit confusing, but bear with me.
What does Genie Plus cost?
Like I said before the Genie Service is free, but Disney World Genie Plus, which allows you to reserve ride times on attractions at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios has a fee.
To allow you to reserve Lightning Lane ride times, on select attractions, the cost of Genie Plus is …well it depends. Sorry, I know you wanted to straight forward answer, and there used to be one. Now, prices vary by day and by park. Most of the time Genie+ costs between $15 and $25 per ticket, per day. For those on a budget, this adds a significant cost to the Disney experience.
Read More: Best Restaurants at Walt Disney World
How do I get Genie+?
When Genie Plus was first announced you could purchase it when getting your tickets and booking your Disney World vacation. However, you can no longer purchase Genie Plus in advance.
Effective June 8, 2022, guests may only purchase Disney World Genie Plus, one day at a time on each day of your visit. You can purchase Genie Plus via the My Disney Experience app.
To Purchase Disney World Genie Plus:
- Open the My Disney Experience App.
- From the main menu in the mobile app select “My Disney Genie Day”.
- Select the “My Day” tab.
- Then tap “Get Disney Genie+ for Today”.
Please note, in order to purchase Genie Plus you need to have a valid park ticket loaded into the My Disney Experience App.
What’s included in Genie Plus?
If you’re dropping between $15-$25 a day for a multi-day Disney vacation that adds up, so wanting to know what’s included in Genie+ is something I asked before I purchased it for the first time too.
Here’s what’s included with Genie+:
- All-day Lightning Lane access (with a few exceptions) in all 4 Walt Disney Parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom.): Keep in mind “all day” means while they’re available. Only a certain number of people are allowed in the Lightning Lane each hour.
- Disney PhotoPass Lenses: A PhotoPass Lense is basically an Instagram or Snapchat filter, and they’re pretty fun! At different areas of the parks, you can access the PhotoPass Lenses right from your smartphone in the My Disney Experience App. In Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge Baby Yoda spears over your shoulder or (for the 50th anniversary) you can watch Cinderella Castle change over the years.
- Audio Tales: Bring your headphones for this one! In different areas of the parks, you’ll access behind-the-scenes audio tales giving you the scoop on your favorite attractions and a bit of Disney history via Disney World Genie Plus.
What attractions’ Lightning Lanes aren’t included with Genie+?
There is 1 attraction in each of the 4 Walt Disney World Parks whose Lightning Lane isn’t included in Disney World Genie Plus. Surprise, surprise, it’s the most popular one. These 4 attractions are only sold “a la carte” so with or without Genie+ you have to pay extra.
With TRON Lightcycle Run opening in 2023, I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney added a second attraction for the Magic Kingdom, but we’ll see.
Those attractions are as follows:
- Magic Kingdom: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Epcot: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
- Hollywood Studios: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- Animal Kingdom: Avatar Flight of Passage
Lightning Lanes for these attractions can be purchased in the My Disney Experience App for an additional fee. The big downside is that the price changes depending on how busy the parks are.
So during the summer, around the Holiday Season, and during big events like Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party expect to pay more. For my thoughts on how to deal with this, check out the tips section.
How do I make Lightning Lane selections?
All lightning lane selections are made in the My Disney Experience App, but what time you can make them depends on where you’re staying and what Lightning Lane selections you’re making.
For a la carte Lightning Lane Selections which are not available through Disney World Genie Plus
If you’re staying at one of the Disney World Resort properties – which I highly recommend – or one of their other select hotels you can make your selections first. Lightning Lane selections so live in the My Disney Experience App at 7:00 AM on the day of their park visit.
All other Guests with valid admission (and a park reservation) are able to purchase individual Lightning Lane entries when the parks open.
For Disney World Genie Plus Lightning Lane Selections
You can purchase your Genie+ on th day of your park entry and make your first Lightning Lane selection starting at 7:00 AM. Note that Disney Resort guests do not get an advantage when they have Genie+
Pin it for Later
How to use Genie+ Lightning Lane Selections
Once you have your Lightning Lane selections they are automatically connected to your ticket in the My Diseney Expereince app.
Arrive at your chosen attraction at the time stated. When approaching the attraction have your MagicBand, MagicBand+ or your Lightning Lane bar code (found in the My Disney Experince App) ready as you’ll have to scan it.
Then you’ll enter the line through the Lightning Lane entrance, and scan your device. Each rider in your party will have to scan in.
Depending on the ride, you may have to scan again, so if you’re using your phone don’t scan it and leave it with a non-rider. While this may seem like a pain it helps ensure people don’t get into the standby line and then hop the railing into the Lightning Lane line.
Is Genie Plus Worth it?
Answering the question, “Is Genie+ worth it“, is challenging and I think depends on what you plan on doing in each park. Are you there for lots of shows? Are you drinking around the world in Epcot? Is your kid dying to meet Cinderella? You have to know your priorities to fully answer this question.
In my opinion Disney World Genie Plus is worth it if you’re going to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. I’d save the money on Genie+ at Epcot and Animal Kingdom unless there is something you NEED to do in one of those parks that the Genie+ will help with.
When I get a chance I’ll break this down more in it’s own blog post.
Important Disney World Genie+ Tips
The following Disney tips for Genie+ have been learned through trial and error ever. I hope these Disney World Genie plus tips help you as much as they’ve helped me.
- When planning your Walt Disney World vacation you should decide what attractions and activities are most important to help you decide if Genie+ is worth it for you and your group.
- Appoint 1 person in your group to book your Lightning Lane selections. Hving multiple people share this responsibility can get confusing, trust me!
- All guests can reserve 1 Lightning Lane selection at a time, so choose wisely.
- Get on the My Disney Expereince app right at 7:00AM when you’re eligible to purchase Genie+ for the day and reserve your first Lightning Lane selection at the same time.
- Genie+ will give you an hour window to get in line, so you can get in line at any point during the hour. However, if you miss the time window you will not be allowed in line.
- I recommend getting to your chosen attraction at the beginning of your hour time slot so you can book your next Lightning Lane as soon as possible.
- Lightning Lane selections run out early for the newer and most popular attractions, so reserve early!
- If you can’t get your Disney World Genie Plus top pick first thing in the morning, get to the park at rope drop and head right to the attraction you want. You’ll get a relatively short wait at this time. Another alternative is to go during the even fireworks or at the end of the day.
- When planning what rides to get Lightning Lane selections for during your Disney vacation make sure to check the park calendar to see what rides are closed for refurbishment.
Attractions that have Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World
There are 40+ attractions across the 4 Walt Disney World Parks that have Lightning Lanes. I’ve collected them all here to help you with planning!
Attractions are listed in alphabetical order, followed by the a la carte offering in that park. . You can find my Lightning Lane recommendations by clicking on the headings and going to that park’s Best Lightning Lane blog post.
Disney World Lightning Lane: Magic Kingdom
The Magic Kingdom has the most Lightning Lanes out of all the parks at Disney World. Below is a list of all the Lightning Lanes at the Magic Kingdom included with Disney World Genie Plus. This list is subject to changes and attraction closures.
- The Barnstormer
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Haunted Mansion
- “It’s a small world”
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Meet Cinderella and a Visiting Princess at Princess Fairytale Hall
- Meet Mickey and Minnie at Town Square Theater
- Meet Princess Tiana and a Visiting Princess at Princess Fairytale Hall
- Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade (seasonal)
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
Lightning Lane access to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is not included with Genie+ and can only be purchased a la carte.
Check out my Magic Kingdom Lightning Lane and Genie+ strategy blog post.
Disney World Lightning Lane: Epcot
Epcot is my personal favorite park at Walt Disney World. Below is a list of all the Lightning Lanes at Epcot included with Disney World Genie Plus. This list is subject to changes and attraction closures.
- Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
- Frozen Ever After
- Journey into Imagination with Figment
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE – Green
- Mission: SPACE – Orange
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Spaceship Earth
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Test Track
- Turtle Talk with Crush
Lightning Lane access to Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is not included with Genie+ and can only be purchased a la carte.
Check out my Epcot Lightning Lane and Genie+ Strategy blog post.
Disney World Lightning Lane: Animal Kingdom
Below is a list of all the Lightning Lanes at the Animal Kingdom included with Disney World Genie Plus. This list is subject to changes and attraction closures.
Lightning Lanes at Animal Kingdom
- The Animation Experience at Conservation Station
- Expedition Everest
- Feathered Friends in Flight!
- Festival of the Lion King
- Finding Nemo: The Big Blue…and Beyond!
- It’s Tough to Be a Bug
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
- Na’vi River Journey
Lightning Lane access to Avatar Flight of Passage is not included with Genie+ and can only be purchased a la carte.
Check out my Animal Kingdom Lightning Lane and Genie+ Strategy blog post.
Disney Lightning Lane: Hollywood Studios
Below is a list of all the Lightning Lanes at Hollywood Studios included with Disney World Genie Plus. This list is subject to changes and attraction closures.
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
- Disney Junior Play & Dance!
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- Meet Olaf at Celebrity Spotlight
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tour – The Adventures Continue
- Toy Story Mania!
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Lightning Lane access to Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is not included with Genie+ and can only be purchased a la carte.
Check out my Hollywood Studios Lightning Lane and Genie+ Strategy blog post.
Disney World Genie Plus Guide
I hope my Disney World Genie Plus guide helps you and your family have the best Disney vacation ever! Please reach out if you have any questions.